Friday, April 9, 2010

"The Answer Is Yes!"

We found out today that Scott is 100% going to Japan in the fall for 3 months. I'm only posting this with such enthusiasm because this means that Carter and I will be joining him so we're not apart for so long. We don't know details of dates and such yet, but Scott told me I could let myself get excited about going. It's such an opportunity for all of us and I know Carter is too young to remember being in Japan, but what an experience for him.


We will stay in an apartment, maybe partially furnished, probably in or close to Nagoya. We will use the train systems as our transportation. I'm hoping for boxes of Kraft mac and cheese, but I'm not counting on it so I might just pack a few boxes myself. I wonder if they'll have Franzia boxed wine and/or Bud Light or if I should pack some of that too!? Haha! :)


While I'm excited, I do have a mix of emotions and feelings about the trip. I'm the obvious happy, excited, curious, and anxious, but I'm also a little sad and nervous. I'm nervous about traveling 13 hours with Carter, being in a foreign country, about not knowing a lick of Japanese, being so far from friends/family (what am I going to do not being able to call up Sarah for errands running or a play date anytime I want?), and finally, I'm nervous about getting Carter and I around, just us, via train. I'm sad about missing friends/family/neighbors and missing the birth of my best friend's baby, among many other things. Thank God for Skype and Vonage.

Nagoya, the metropolis

An aerial view of Japan, over Nagoya

But I think most of all, I'm excited for Scott! I'm excited that he gets to go and work in Japan for an extended period of time, I'm excited that he gets to show Carter and I some of the amazing sights of Japan, and excited that we don't have to be apart from each other during this trip.

A Higashi Temple Garden in Nagoya

I'm only posting this information on my blog for now, no FB, but I'll post more details when they are known...dates, where we'll be living, etc. :)

3 comments:

  1. What an exciting opportunity for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can only imagine how this news brings both excitement and a mix of emotions for you. Thank God for FB and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, THANK GOD!! Wow- Nagoya is huge. I think i'd stick to the gardens. haha :) It will be an awesome experience in many ways. Not many people get the opportunity to live in another country for an extended period of time! I think I'd def. recommend trying to learn how to say some key phrases, maybe purchase a language tutorial program or something. I mean they must have a word for wine right?? haha! I of course will miss you greatly, but promise to invest in a great webcam. How many hours difference will you be from us? If you can't make my baby shower, depending on when they have it, maybe I can find a way to stream it live :) haha Not that it will be that exciting, but still, I'd love to have you there. I could take my laptop and we could do a Skype session so you could talk to everyone! We'll figure something out. OH! Meant to ask...Where's Maggie going?

    ReplyDelete